Taking some getting used to! Cell phones and internet are not as widely used, which I have had some major withdrawals over! I have had luck getting the internet at the public library but my $200 Skype investment hasn’t been much use since the airport last night!
The excitement of my day has been the Grocery store. First of all, nothing really looks too familiar. Everything is a different brand and you cannot find chicken noodle soup or Cheerios. On the plus side, they have a lot of really health things! I thought I was healthy but they have things called wafers here that I won’t touch! I imagine that they taste like salty cardboard! I walked to the grocery store with my laptop bag in tow with the intentions of packing several bags home with me. Unfortunately I was unaware that kiwis bring their own grocery bags and that I would be forced to figure out my own means of carrying my groceries home. Luckily I spied a small box in the parking lot and was able to barely fit all of my purchases in it!
The house I live in is also a little strange. Absolutely adorable older home super close to everything I would want or need to be near. After using the restroom for the first time, I was confused as to how to flush. The tank of the toilet is on the wall and there is no lever. After I begin to panic I found a small button in the center of the tank and in haste I pushed it, hoping it was the secret I was looking for! It was, so that was another emergency averted! Also the doorknobs are all about level with my nose! The house has so much character, it is such a relief that the house is of no concerns!
I am having a lot of trouble being lonely! I have never moved to a place where I know no one, so this is very difficult to have only my friends and family from home to call upon when the time changes match up. I guess I suspected that I would feel this way, but I kept it off my mind because I knew it would rule my decision. I don’t regret coming here; I just wish the transition was easier. My family kept offering to come and help me move but I just thought we should get the goodbyes out of the way all at once and not drag things out. The loneliness would eventually kick in regardless if someone held my hand on the way here or not.
I am looking forward to everyone coming to visit and for Ben to move down in four months! I hope with work starting soon that I will worry less and enjoy myself more! I also look forward to nice warm weather. It has been rainy and cloudy here all day today, which I am sure is not helping my mood! I may end up going into work early just for something else to do.
I ended my day first day in New Zealand with McDonald…really Janine’s idea! They have what is called a Kiwi Burger here and it is a hamburger with egg, and beets on it. Janine said it was an acquired taste so I had a more traditional cheeseburger and we ended the night doing what I enjoy, watching a chick flick and enjoying our take home! My big adventure has officially begun!
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment