Friday, August 21, 2009

Chillaxin in H-town!

It looks like I am now officially a resident having found the mall, having a bank account, and my first meal of fish and chips. I have found that I can pass as a true kiwi until I talk so I find myself nodding whenever I can get away with it to avoid the “how long have you been in New Zealand” questions, which I then must give them an answer in days! I also discovered K*Mart which was glorious….I didn’t think I would get so excited finding familiar things but when I found K*Mart next to Burger King I was elated! It seems that there is at least one cute little cafĂ© on every street and each one seems cuter then the last. Victoria Street is riddled with cute restaurants and the prices don’t seem abnormally high. I have also found an overabundance of lingerie and adult stores, but have not braved a trip inside! I found the Waikato museum yesterday so that is on my agenda for a boring weekend day!

I also learned, the hard way, that if the voltages in my appliances don’t match up it can be problematic! As I straightened my hair with my converter the power in the entire house went out. I had no idea where to find the breaker box or if the houses here even have them. But more importantly, I was only half done straightening my hair! Luckily the power miraculously went back on, on its own! One other interesting tidbit is that the banks here charge you to talk to a teller, it’s $3.

I have also been enjoying the New Zealand television programs. The news is surprisingly more upbeat then ours back in the states. Their soaps are not so impressive, but the late night TV is great. They have fewer restrictions so they can get away with a lot more, which I likey! If you have some time you should check out Rove on www.tv3.co.nz. After today I have one more day of ‘summer’ and then I start the first day of the rest of my life!

Sadly, after all those snuggie commercials I made fun of, a snuggie would be so delicious here in the winter in New Zealand! So this is my public service announcement “don’t make fun of info-mercials, you never know when that off the wall invention is just what you never knew you needed!

I almost forgot that I flew on the airplane here with the man that was killed in the helicopter over the Hudson bay when his copter hit an airplane....crazy huh!
Well today is brunch with my clinic manager Riette at the lake so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment