Sunday, October 18, 2009

Glad someone has a green thumb!

  Since we were given a beautiful sunny day in the midst of all the rain I took full advantage and ventured to the Hamilton Gardens. Since I am limited on transportation and convinced that I can walk any distance (as long as I don't have to carry anything heavy) I relied on my great sense of direction and my new ballet flats to get me there. I was told to follow the river, fortunately it was a beautiful walk along the river, and the only thing I was missing was a cute dog to walk.


  The Hamilton Gardens consist of a few large gardens (rose garden, rhododendron garden, native plant garden) and then some smaller more specifically themed gardens. For obvious reasons I was most excited to see the Japanese garden since the Cherry Blossoms are some of my favorites! The photos are below and although my amateur photography does the gardens no justice it was phenomenal!

  I purchased a pedometer so I could feel better about not have a gym membership. My boss likes it because I always offer to refill her office supplies to add a few extra steps to my day. But anyways, I did some research and 2000 steps is about a mile (I am convinced that since my legs are short it is probably less than 2000 steps though). When I crunched the numbers from my trip to the gardens, getting lost in the gardens, and then venturing home I had walked about 11 miles. Two things: My new adorable and comfortable ballet flats I despise and my legs were sore for three days.

  Well here are the photos for you, through all my pain and suffering ;)  Since I didn't label them well here is the Hamilton Gardens website as well:  http://www.hamiltongardens.co.nz/


Above:  The rose garden, not quite in season yet....

Above:  This is a commons area that split all the gardens

Above:  A pagoda....just like grandma's!

Above and below:  The Japanese Garden of Contemplation



Above:  English Flower Garden


Above:  Entrance to the Chinese garden


Above:  A canopy of bamboo at the Chinese Scholar's Garden

Above:  They called it a turtle but it seems a little like a dragon....


Above:  Indian Char Bagh Garden

Above:  Italian Renaissance Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment