Almost a year ago I left on the scariest adventure of my life….with the most indecisive, naïve, and unorganized person I know….myself. The last things I remember before leaving the states was crying for hours in the LA airport because I really could not believe what I had signed myself up for. I left in hopes of learning about another country, another culture, my career choice, and most of all myself.
I have truly never been alone, I have never moved to a place I knew no one, and I felt that for once I had to know not only if I truly was a likeable person but if I could really be independent and take care of myself. Although it has not always been easy, all the amazing support from monthly cards from Grandma Marilyn to care packages from my mom and sister has definitely helped. I also got to look forward to the random obscure Idaho postcards from Ben.
I have met some truly amazing people here who have touched my life in such a way that they will never be forgotten. Although I have, on a daily basis endured a lot of abuse about the way I say my name and how I take patients from the waiting room to my office, I am sure I have been no picnic. I encountered some incredibly generous, thoughtful people who have truly made this year so much easier. I love the people that I work with and can honestly say that I enjoy coming to work every day and seeing each and every one of them. I always look forward to John’s weekly love advice or learning about the oddities that are Thailand. Brett has taught me so much about Audiology and has read every article I have suggested and endured an inquisitive conversation about each and every one. Everlyn and I started at the same time and it has been so great to get to learn together. She works so hard and I know that excellent work ethic will take her places (hopefully the states one day). Riëtte has always made me feel welcomed and included me in all her weekend plans. She has introduced me to great people and has allowed me so many great opportunities; Rugby games, Waihi beach for New Year, and next weekend, our girl’s weekend to Napier for wine and cheese.
Thank you to my grandparents, Dale and Marilyn because not only did they aid in raising this amazingly well mannered and tidy young lady but they have also been so supportive in every endeavor and made this whole experience so much smoother. I got cards for everything including but not limited to “baby’s first Thanksgiving, away from home”. They drove eight hours round trip just to see me walk across a stage and get hooded.
Thank you to my grandparents, Jack and Mitsu for not only attempting to scare me out of driving car but for making me think twice before I just jumped into car on the wrong side of the road and the wrong side of car. It was great to hear grandpa try to explain places I needed to go, “there is a beach with a funny name you have to visit”. But I am certain that he enjoyed the New Zealand chocolate!
Thank you to my sister who endured my marathon phone calls and talked me down from a lot of ledges, and reminded me what a great experience this was when I momentarily forgot. I also must thank her for the cream hoodie with the soft lining as I have been living in it this winter as well as the mukluks she got me ages ago. She also worked so hard to make my graduation celebration grand, and that did not go unnoticed. She really made this all possible because I never thought my mother would willingly let me leave the country without her. It only took my sister one conversation before my mother was practically pushing me out of the country.
Ben was not only standing in the kitchen behind me as I received the email that will forever change my life but he also willingly signed on to have a girlfriend that not only doesn’t live in the same town to him but doesn’t even live in the same country or hemisphere. Thank you also for all your support and patience and for allowing me to have a three week going away party for myself. I am so grateful that you put your life on hold to be with me for four glorious months. We had some incredible adventures and did more hiking then I will probably do the rest of my life! I felt like we had a four month honeymoon minus the wedding, although I am sure in real life you wouldn’t have the time for all the housework. It was great coming home to dinner, a clean house, and although I would still rather sleep in an unmade bed, I came home to a beautifully made bed every day.
Thank you Melody and Jack for the words of encouragement, they truly were inspirational and it was great to know that someone was empathetic to what I was going through. Thank you Roger and Shelly for following me on this as well as on face book, it really meant a lot to know that this blog was more then just a way for me to document all that I was doing but that there were people truly interested. Thank you also to Aunt Tammy, it was so great to be remembered at Christmas since it was so hard not being with family and in the middle of a blizzard. It really isn’t Christmas without those little peanut butter and chocolate soldiers, snowmen, and Christmas trees.
Thank you so much to my parents who not only allowed me to go, but made it so easy. The amazing support and thoughtfulness will never be forgotten and I could not have made the leap or sustained the challenge without you guys. Thank you for never telling me I was crazy when I jumped off a little platform or hung by a string into a cave (well you might have, but thank you for not having me committed). Thank you also for shipping three boxes of necessities here and bringing a spare suitcase to bring it all back home! I am still unsure as to whether I can survive without Oreos and ketchup but I don’t think anyone should have to, so thank you for not making me endure it. Thank you for all the obscure errands you run for me and the calls you make. I appreciate having a personal assistant in another country. I cannot wait to show you all that I have seen and I am so proud of my mother for attempting a twelve hour plane ride when she will not even take the two hour one to see my sister (I guess we finally know who your favorite is).
Although I would love Cameron Diaz or Julia Roberts to play me in the movie about my blog, it should probably be someone Asian like Lucy Lui or the Asian girl off Glee. But really if no movie deal comes my way I feel like this experience had made such a positive impact on my life and one that makes me much more credible as a 27 year old, and makes me a little more optimistic about attending my ten year class reunion next summer. I have learned so much about life, Audiology, and myself and in less then one year, which is probably more then I learned in all nine years of college!
Stay tuned for the last three posts from New Zealand!
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment